DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RESOURCES
Welcome! Here's the Witching Hour's 2018 Agenda and Notes from 4/4: Domestic Violence Resources.
Photo is of our Hex the Patriarchy Print! 30% of every purchase goes to HAWC, Salem's local domestic violence support group.
7:30-7:40pm - Updates + Announcements:
- City Clerk position still contentious issue - latest update is that an ad hoc committee has been formed and the city. There are still efforts underway to ensure it’s a fair process.
- Cleanups are scheduled across town for the spring. Take a look at Salem Sound Coastwatch page for plenty of cleanups of our beaches!
- Boston March for Science
Saturday, April 14 at 1 PM - 3 PM
Christopher Columbus Park
110 Atlantic Ave., Boston, Massachusetts 02110
- Massachusetts Tries To Limit Medications Covered Under Medicaid: https://www.countable.us/articles/3610-massachusetts-tries-limit-medications-covered-medicaid
- FOSTA/SESTA - Our Senators voted in favor, with endangers sex workers instead of helping and protecting them.
- Massachusetts laws do not require tracking or testing of rape kits; This advocacy group wants to change that in 2018:
http://endthebacklog.org/ + http://joinus.joyfulheartfoundation.org/page/speakout/write-your-state-senator
- State-level election process has begun! Keep an eye out for candidate forums and start figuring out your top choices. 9/4/18 is MA primaries!
Latest Left/Progressive Candidates:
Alice Merkl for Registry of Deeds in Essex County
Setti Warren for Governor
Candidates are still gathering signatures - including the Federal seats like Elizabeth Warren
- More than double the number of women are running for Congress than in 2016.
- China Slaps Tariffs on 128 U.S. Goods: https://www.countable.us/articles/3610-massachusetts-tries-limit-medications-covered-medicaid
- All 22 Female Senators Blast Chamber’s ‘Inaction’ on Sexual Harassment Bill: https://www.countable.us/articles/3573-22-female-senators-blast-chamber-s-inaction-sexual-harassment-bill
- Census Bureau is adding a question on citizenship to the census. No citizenship question has been included in the decennial Census, participation in which is required by law, since 1960.: https://www.countable.us/articles/2192-dems-call-for-hearing-over-census-citizenship-question
Maggie’s Global Hot Takes:
- Cape Town water update: conservation efforts have been succeeding, “day zero” pushed back indefinitely. Including measures such as private hospital building their own desalination plant.
- India-administered Kashmir engaged in shutdown following clashes from anti-India separatists that least to 19 deaths.
- Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, anti-Apartheid activist and former wife of South African president Nelson Mandela, died at age 81.
- A major food bank in Germany has reversed a ban on foreigners receiving assistance after declaring in January that only German passport-holders were eligible for free food from them. Widespread criticism caused them to backtrack.
7:40-8:20: Domestic Violence Resources
Important local organizations to know are HAWC (Healing Abuse, Working for Change) and the North Shore Rape Crisis Center. Either of these organizations can help answer questions about your situation, a friend, or family member's situation, or help get anyone on a path to leaving an abusive situation.
These places can help finding shelter and support groups. You can learn more about local North Shore services on the HAWC website here: www.hawcdv.org.
Rape Crisis Hotline: 1-800-922-8772
How to Help your Friends
Possible signs of abuse:
- New eating or sleeping habits
- Being angry all the time
- Taking lots of risks
- Feeling hopeless and helpless
- Mood swings
If you start to notice someone might be in an abusive situation or you suspect they might be based on their behavior, there are a couple do's and don'ts:
- Be a person who doesn't give up on them.
- Make sure they know you're here for them and they know you care about them.
- Stay calm and listen. Let your friend get it all out.
- Give them time.
- Help find other people who can help.
- Don't judge them.
- Don't shame or blame them. No victim blaming.
- Don't try to have answers for everything.
- Don't expect them to "snap out of it."
- Don't confront the person who hurt your friend. Though you might want to fix the situation this could make it worse for you and your friend.
Good things to say:
- You are not alone.
- I'm glad you told me.
- Nothing you did, or didn't do, makes you deserve this treatment.
- How can I/we help you feel safer
- I believe you.
- I'll support your decisions.
If it comes to the point where a restraining order is necessary and the person is willing to go to a courthouse or a police station, you simply go to a county court clerk's office or your local police department and request an application. There are almost always representatives to help you fill out these forms at the courts who can assist you or your friend in filling them out correctly.
Call Seth Moulton + 202-225-8020
If voicemail is full: + 978-531-1669
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I'm a constituent from [CITY,STATE, STREET]. First, I'm calling to urge Rep. Seth Moulton to support a discharge petition to force a floor vote on a clean legislative replacement for DACA. Congress is running out of time to protect DACA recipients and must act immediately to restore their legal protections. Second,I’m calling to urge Rep. Seth Moulton to demand that the 2020 Census include questions about gender identity and sexual orientation. The census must accurately count the LGBTQ+ population to help policy makers address the discrimination LGBTQ+ people still face in areas like housing and employment. Lastly, I'm calling to ask Rep. Seth Moulton to support HR 2670 the Protecting Domestic Violence and Stalking Victims Act, and HR 3207 the Zero Tolerance for Domestic Abusers Act. Congress must act now to close dangerous loopholes in gun laws that allow perpetrators of domestic abuse access to deadly firearms.
[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]
Call our senators
+1 202-224-2742 (Office of Edward J. Markey, one of our Senators)
+1 202-224-4543 (Office of Elizabeth Warren, one of our Senators)
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I'm a constituent from [CITY, STATE, STREET]. First, I’m calling to urge [SENATOR’S NAME] to demand that the 2020 Census include questions about gender identity and sexual orientation. The census must accurately count the LGBTQ+ population to help policy makers address the discrimination LGBTQ+ people still face in areas like housing and employment. Second, I’m calling today to ask [SENATOR’S NAME] to vote in favor of S.2095, the Assault Weapons Ban of 2017. We cannot afford to wait any longer to protect innocent lives from gun massacres. In addition, I'm calling to ask the senator to support S 1539, the Protecting Domestic Violence and Stalking Victims Act. Congress must act now to close dangerous loopholes in gun laws that allow perpetrators of domestic abuse access to deadly firearms. Lastly, I noticed that you voted in favor of FOSTA/SESTA. If you are truly interested in the safety of those affected by sex-trafficking, I implore you to listen to survivors to discover what they really need; such as housing and job assistance. It concerns me to know that this bill could not only put more sex workers in danger, but also does little to nothing to solve the problems faced by sex-traffic survivors. Thank you for your hard work answering the phones. [IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]
Paul Tucker, State Lower Legislature Representative
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [CITY, STATE, STREET]. I am calling to ask [REP NAME] to write or support legislation that promotes net neutrality, such as laws that incentivize net neutral internet service providers or laws that block the state government from doing business with non-net neutral providers. Preserving a free and open internet is essential to protect freedom of speech, a cornerstone of our democracy.Thank you for your time and attention.[IF LEAVING VOICEMAIL: Please leave full address to ensure call is tallied]
Department of Justice
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [CITY, STATE, STREET]. I'm calling to express my strong disapproval of the Department's plan to rescind the policy of allowing states to take lead on marijuana law enforcement. The government should be focused on fighting the opiate epidemic, not cracking down on legal marijuana businesses. Thank you for all your hard work answering phones. [IF LEAVING VOICEMAIL: Please leave full address to ensure call is tallied]
Department of Commerce, Office of Public Affairs
Hello, my name is [NAME] from [address, city, state]. I'm calling to urge the Department of Commerce, Office of Public Affairs to support The Every Person Counts Act, S. 2580, and prohibit the inclusion of a citizenship question in the 2020 Census. Adding this question will skew the census count by discouraging immigrants from participating, thus blocking states from receiving sufficient federal funding.Thank you for your time and attention. [IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address to ensure your call is tallied]
Choose two events and go to them before the next Witching Hour. Find a buddy, or a few and carpool.
Find all links to Facebook Events in our Google Doc: http://bit.ly/WitchingHourDoc or in the community page post of this agenda on the HausWitch website! (Posted the day after the meeting.)
Salem City Council Meeting
7pm City Hall
Salem Park Cleanup
Community Health Fair & Mayoral Proclamations for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
Old Town Hall 10am
City Council Meeting
7pm City Hall
The Witching Hour is HausWitch’s attempt to help our community stay accountable for their activism. They occur the first Wednesday of every month at 7:30pm at the shop. They focus on a topic, project, or fundraiser. We call representatives, senators and other government officials from around the Salem, MA area about things we care about and donate to local causes.
Can’t make it to The Witching Hour? Too far away? Thinking about starting your own accountability group? Two words: Do it! Email email@example.com if you need a little guidance.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.